Sunday, May 23, 2010

Thank You!


I want to thank you all for your support and generosity in this year's brain tumor ride. I am so fortunate to have so many caring friends, family, and colleagues.

One of Brian's recent blog posts best captures the emotions of last Sunday, so I've copied it below.

Many Thanks,
Denise (Nolan)

Two days have passed since I completed the 25-mile Boston Brain Tumor Ride, but there will never be a time when I forget the truly amazing day that was Sunday, May 16th, 2010. Last month when I ran a 10-mile race in Washington, DC, and once again in October when I’ll attempt my first marathon, it’s a race against the clock. On Sunday, with close to one thousand other bikers in suburban Boston, I found no need to race. On May 16th, I simply reveled in being along for ‘the ride.’ To those that rode alongside me and to those that were there in spirit with emotional and generous financial support, the $33,162 raised by our 23-member team was evidence of our motto at work … “We’re in this together!”

In the 18 months since I was told of glioblastoma multiforme’s typical 18-month prognosis, I’ve experienced a great number highs that have strongly outweighed the few severe lows that I endured. In the last few weeks however, I’ve found myself at the pinnacle of life on numerous occasions. When I learned the results of yet another crystal clear MRI of my brain on May 4th, I was proud to prove that 18 months is merely a statistic; a statistic which never will define me. On May 16th, with the support of hundreds pushing me through the streets of Massachusetts, we proved that love, hope and determination conquers all (with a lot of help from Duke and God above, of course).

With my perfect wife, my Mom and Dad, my sisters Denise and Chrissy (and Cheryl from afar), my Uncle Ralphie, Heather and Luke, Ricky, Mike, Jim, Joe, Ed C., Michelle, Robin, Becky, Jeremy, Ed O., Steve, Laura, Stephen and Corey – and the 437 donations that came in from around the world – we stood toe to toe with a vicious foe and came out on top of the world.

At the closing ceremonies following Sunday’s event we were awarded with The Boston Brain Tumor Ride’s highest honor. Expertly captained by my sister Denise, our team was given the Spirit Award, in recognition of the fighting spirit shown by my tight-knit legion. I was honored to accept the award, but more honored to have our entire team on-stage with me. In many ways throughout the past 18 months, my job has been the easiest. It is you all that are deserving of my praise.


On behalf of myself, but also from The National Brain Tumor Society and the hundreds of thousands of people in the United States alone currently living with a brain tumor, please accept my eternal thanks…for riding, for donating, for hoping. We are truly in this together, and I couldn’t be prouder.





No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Site Meter